Monday, September 17, 2007

A Night of Firsts

So last night I took my first trip in a Car Co-op Car to my first hockey game on my new team. Oh yes, did I mention that I joined the Car Co-op? And that I joined a new hockey team? Perhaps I should back up a few steps.

A few weeks ago, I joined the Car Co-op. It's actually called the Co-operative Auto Network (or CAN), but I just call it the Car Co-op because, well, it's a car co-op1. The deal with the co-op is that you put down a $500 (refundable) deposit to become a member and then you co-operatively own the cars, along with all the other members. The cars are spread out over the city and you book them online when you want to use them - first come, first served. You pay depending on how much time you have the car and how many kilometers you drive. It's much cheaper than buying a car and since I discovered that I can't afford even a measly $21,000 (after all the fees & taxes), plus insurance, for my beloved Smart Car2, this is the only way for me to get my hands on some wheels.

And I need wheels because I just joined a new hockey team, but they play out in Coquitlam. Coq, for those of you who aren't from around these parts, is a 45 minute drive3 from my house. And it appears that I'm the only person on the team who isn't from Coq, so there is no chance to car pool. So I needed some wheels. Hence the Car Co-op.

Plus, having access to wheels makes the idea of getting a ski pass this winter feasible. I've lived in this city far too long without having a ski pass!

But back to the hockey. My new team is awesome! Everyone is so nice and so friendly! And with lots of team spirit! They've been playing together for awhile (only me and one other person are new to the team this year) and there is just an overall positive vibe to the team. I was worried before the game, since I hadn't played in sooooo long, but it all comes back to you, just like riding a bike. Take short shifts, skate hard, stand in front of the net, wait for good player to pass to you & shovel the puck in the net3... or tie up the defenceman in front of the net to give one of the good players a clear shot. I was playing right wing last night (on my former team, I was a centre) and I quite liked it. I still have to get used to the position and where I'm supposed to be under different circumstances, but positioning has always been my strong point, so I'm sure I'll pick it up quickly. [OK, so this is weird. I just looked on the Canucks website to see who is a right winger (and thus, who I should be watching now that pre-season is under way) and, apparently all of our forwards are either centres or left wingers, other than new kid Ryan Shannon. What the f is up with that? Also, Ryan Shannon - get a haircut, you hippie!]

So, yeah, Car Coop - great. New hockey team - great. If you want to join the Co-op, tell them that I referred you and I'll get $20. And you know how much I like getting stuff for free!

1I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but it was only a few years ago when I actually learned what a co-op is. Before that, I just knew the Co-op as the place where my dad bought feed for his chickens.

2thanks $850 a month in student loan payments!

3Or a 372 hour bus ride. Give or take.

4One of these days, I really do need to learn how to actually shoot the puck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This entry (http://tinyurl.com/34a3dt) may help explain why the Canucks have few right wingers. I think that in North America you tend to play the same side as you shoot--it's different in Europe.

And well done on the Car Co-op--just think of all the good karma you're generating.

Dave said...

Car Co-ops. What will you hippies think of next?

The preceding comment was brought to you by PMWAMW - People Making Western Alienation That Much Worse.