Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Is it wrong for me to love an inanimate object? I'm standing at a bus stop, secure in the knowledge that my bus will be here soon because now I, like everyone else, can call Translink's automated system and find out when the next bus is coming. I stand here, pecking away at my little keyboard, the smell of pot from the joint the girl next to me is smoking burning strong, and I try to avoid being in the direct line of fire as she hacks up what I can only assume is both of her lungs.

Now I'm sitting on the bus, still pecking away at the tiny keyboard, because you really can't type that fast on keys that are mere millimetres wide (or at least that's what it feels like... I'm sure that my phone will soon announce "the fingers you are using to type with are too fat. If you would like to order a dialing wand, please smash the keyboard with your palm.")

Soon, I will be home and I'll upload this to my blog (which will then be automatically imported into Facebook, for those of you who read my blog postings there instead of reading my blog...). And the world will be blessed with yet another pithy blog posting from me, all thanks to my shiny new Treo. That, and the fact that I finished the book I was reading on the bus ride to dinner1, and so was bored enough to write this.



OK, so apparently I was bored enough to write that yesterday, but not motivated enough to actually upload it! It's now the next day and I'm at Kalev's in the middle of watching Night Watch, a Russian horror movie that we saw over a year ago in the theatre that just so happens to have the BEST. SUBTITLES. EVER. But we paused the movie 'cuz Kalev keeps getting phone calls! You may be interested to know, however, that we are watching Night Watch for a very special reason... As it happens, Day Watch, the first of two sequels, is coming out in theatres this weekend. And as it also happens, there were two contests2 that Vancouverites could enter to win passes to see a sneak preview of said sequel. Contests that Kalev and I may have asked our friends ever so nicely to enter in the hopes of increasing our chances of getting our mitts on those tix. And, as it so happens, not only did Kalev and I both win double passes, but so did no fewer than FOUR of our friends!3 And just to add the cherry on top, I also just so happened to be one of the first three winners of the Georgia Strait's contest to pick up my passes, so I also got a copy of the book "Day Watch." A book, of course was what I really could have used yesterday when I started writing this posting!

Oh yes, for the record, I'm on yet another bus (and have been since about the middle of the last paragraph). And I have no fewer than 4 books in my bag today: the library book that I brought with me to read on the bus on the way to work this morning, the copy of Day Watch and two books that I picked up as Christmas presents, if you can believe that!4

1Minority Report by Philip K. Dick, in case you were wondering
2One from Videomatica and one from the Georgia Strait. I suppose it is possible there were more, but these were the two of which I was aware.
3I think that this is sufficient evidence that the Flying Spaghetti Monster was using his Noodly Appendage to ensure that I saw this movie.
4I don't think I've ever started my Christmas shopping before Dec 19.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn girl! You are lucky! I'm looking forward to Day Watch playing here... oh... never, which translates into waiting for it to come out on DVD.

Unknown said...

Dude - you're footnote skillz are maaaad!

Stacia said...

I'm so jealous! Night Watch was one of the funniest movies ever, especially when you know what the subtitles are supposed to say. You'll have to let us know how Day Watch is.

Beth said...

Day Watch was awesome! I think I may have liked Night Watch a bit better, but I was quite pleased with Day Watch!

Stacia, I wish you'd been here to watch it with us and give us the real translation from the Russian! (e.g., in Night Watch when the kid says (in subtitles) "My bad"... I'm pretty sure that's wasn't a direct translation).