Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Half Crazy

Just over 8 months ago, I watched some friends run in the Vancouver half marathon. OK, in the interest of accuracy, I went and watched a lot of people who weren't my friends cross the finish line and somehow didn't see any of my friends cross. While watching people cross the finish line, having just run either 42 (full) or 21 (half) km*, my only thought was "Where the hell are my friends? They should be finishing around now? Could I possibly have missed them? I mean, I've been watching the finish line the whole time!" But after that, my next thought was "These people are all crazy!" There were people who were collapsing as they crossed the finish line, having pushed their bodies far beyond what could reasonably be expected of them. Who the hell would want to do that to themselves?? Who the hell would want to run for hours on end??

Apparently, I would.

Yup, that's right. I've decided to train for a half marathon! I'm aiming for the Vancouver International, which is held the first weekend in May. I'm figuring, should I happen to get a job, I'll just hope that there is a half marathon nearby to wherever I end up**. I officially started my training last week... the plan I'm following is from this book and, while there are training plans for those aiming to finish in 2 hrs 15 mins, or in 2 hours, or in 1 hr 45 mins, I've chosen to follow the "for-the-love-of-all-that-is-good-in-the-world, please-just-let-me-complete-the-race-in-under-6-hours, when-they-will-actually-kick-you-off-the-course!" plan. All things considered, I think it is a wise choice.

So, as I said, I started my training last week, but I decided it's time to announce her on the blog in the hopes that having announced it to the world will keep me from chickening out. I'll keep ya posted!

*that's 26 or 13 miles for my American readers.
**coincidentally, the Geneva Marathon is being held on the same day. So if someone in Switzerland wanted to hire me, I could run in that one. I'm just saying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa. You are brave, girl.

I've always thought it would be really cool to run a marathon, but I don't have the guts. (Or the love of all things healthy, to be honest.)

Here's wishing that you get closer to 2 hours than 6! *clink*

Unknown said...

Beth, it's so easy! You can TOTALLY do it!

I'm an instructor with Running Room, and my clinic's half marathon is in less than two weeks! True, there are only two members left (everyone else is injured), but they are DEDIMICATED!

In the wise words of Rob Schneider: "You can doooo eeeet!"

(And, really?? It's the first weekend of May? I'm going to be in Chilliwack the first weekend of May... And I'll be training for a Half that's the second weekend in May [Mississauga]. Are you running with anyone? We could do a Whynatte, then run! I'm gunna have to confirm my travel, and maybe register for the race. Wicked!)

Beth said...

What the heck are you going to be doing in the 'wack on the first weekend of May?? Would you seriously run half marathons on back to back weekends?? That's hardcore!

A bunch of my friends are running, but I'm sure they will all be a lot faster than me, so I'll probably run most of it by myself (well, with my trusty iPod!)

Do a Whynatte *before* I run? I'm not sure that would be wise... perhaps after the race... surely I'll run faster if I know that a Whynatte is waiting at the finish line!

Unknown said...

I am totally e-mailing you to get more details.

This prospect has me pumped!

Whynatte after the race: definitely a better idea! We'll sprint the last... meter. (heh!) To get to it!