Thursday, July 05, 2007

My New Coffeemaker Looks Like A Spaceship

After work tonight, a trip to the mall in search of wedding shower presents. I very rarely go to the mall, as I much prefer to buy stuff at consignment stores. So I decided to take advantage of the mall trip and finally replace the coffeemaker that I broke1. Spent an inordinate amount of time in Zellers trying to decide if it was worth double the price to get a coffeemaker with an alarm function so that I can wake up to a freshly made cup of coffee. I do so like to wake up to the smell of my organic, fair-trade Bolivian coffee brewing! But double the price?? Finally, my friend Linda arrived2 to point out that I could buy the non-alarm coffeemaker and plug it in through a timer, so that it would function as an alarm, but without paying double the price. Linda is smart like that. So I get the cheap coffee pot, lug it around the mall as we grab some dinner and then head to the Bay in search of wedding shower presents. Spend an inordinate amount of time trying to decide what to get, then inspecting the items to ensure they are perfect3. Have attention drawn by giant yellow signs that read: "CLEARANCE! 50% OFF!" "That coffeemaker looks like a spaceship!!" yells Linda. And it really does. And it has the alarm function. And, at half off, it's the same price as the alarm-less one that I'm holding at the time. So I buy the spaceship and then lug *two* coffeemakers across the mall4 to return the first one. But it was so worth it! Check it out:

You know you are jealous!

Of course, by choosing form before function, I have the slightly inconvenient problem that this coffeemaker is too wide to share my meagre counter space with my (also over-sized) toaster, which was already fighting for space with my kettle. Meaning that I will need to do some creative rearranging of the kitchen (I've re-deployed the kettle to live next to the microwave, which sits under the stereo, but need to find a new home for the toaster). But the rearranging is long overdue, as evidenced by this note I had to put up for myself, after blowing the circuit one to many times:


Hmmm... maybe the toaster could go on top of the microwave and the stereo could go into the living room.. or on top of the other kitchen cabinet... which would require the liquor to be relocated... or... oh well, I'm sure I'll figure it out. Of course, I should probably unpack all my boxes of books, which would give me more room to do stuff. Which of course would require me to get a bookshelf on which to put those books... which would require someone with a vehicle...

1I've given up looking for a replacement pot, as it's clear that I'm just never going to find the one that fits and they have long since discontinued that model. Now that I've bought the new coffeemaker, I'm certain that I will find the perfect pot the next time I go into a thrift shop.

2She had been delayed by the minor problem of having locked her keys in the trunk of her car. D'oh!

2I can't tell you what we got, on the off chance that the intended recepients of the gift reads this posting. I don't think they will, but my postings are imported into Facebook, so it's not outside the realm of possibility. I'll tell you later, 'cuz, if I do say myself, this might be the COOLEST. GIFT. EVER.

4OK, to be honest, Linda lugged one and I lugged the other. 'cuz she's a good friend like that.

1 comment:

JB said...

That coffee maker was in the grey box a few months ago. No, I really mean that make and model and colour of coffee maker. Too bad that was before we ... met.