Saturday, July 28, 2007

Freebee Friday

I love free stuff. The offer of free stuff appeals to both my pack rat tendencies and my cheapness gene. And this week was a banner week for free stuff. As previously mentioned, I got to see TWO free movies this weekend - Arctic Tale (my movie review: meh.) on Monday and Skinwalkers (my movie review: I heart things that bite!) on Wednesday.

But Friday brought the motherload of free stuff! First, I got a free textbook from a publishing company. Publishing companies love to give instructors free textbooks, because if you like their book and make it the required one for your course, that's 1001 kids who have to buy the overpriced thing. When I used to teach introductory nutrition, I received no less than four textbooks and two diet analysis software packages for free! After going to campus to pick up my free textbook, I headed out to the Georgia Straight office to pick up a prize package that I had won through one of their online contests. This prize pack consisted of 5 books, seen here sitting on my bedside bookshelf:

IMG_2158

The book that had most appealed to me when I saw this contest was the Raw Shark Texts. I'd seen this book on a recent trip to the UBC Bookstore and it caught my eye because (a) I like sharks and (b) it had the shape of a shark cut out of the cover:

IMG_2160

IMG_2161

...so I read the back of the book and it sounded intriguing! I wasn't familiar with any of the other books, but I checked them out while waiting for the bus after picking them up and they all sound really good! So now I have a big stack of books to read - I'm just starting Infinite Jest3 though, which is about 2 million pages long, so it may be a while until I get to my new free books.

As an added bonus, I also got this free, snazzy new Georgia Straight bag, in which to carry my new books home:

IMG_2170

And on the way home, I stopped by to see my hair stylist to get a free bang trim. I'm coming to discover that having bangs requires more than a once a year haircut.

OK, now as I was composing this posting, I just got a free bottle of water! I'm sitting at a coffee shop and the dude at the counter forget to make my toasted bagel so, as an apology for making me wait, he gave me a free bottle of water! It's my lucky week!

1well, 100 kids in the case of my class, 'cuz that's about how big the class will be. If you teach one of those monster 500 student courses, that's a total goldmine for the publisher!

2the Georgia Straight, a local newspaper, was also the source of the Skinwalkers tickets.

3which I picked up at a used bookstore a while ago

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Free books are awesome. Publisher reps who come to the library bring us boxes of advance reader copies all the time, and there's usually a free-for-all in the staff room afterwards.

Let us know how you make out with Infinite Jest.