Sunday, March 18, 2007

Oh yes, I can.

So I went to the bank yesterday to find out what I need to do to start paying back my student loans, as apparently they expect you to pay those back. Half of mine are with the Royal Bank and the other half are with the government, as the government took over lending out money to students from the banks part way through my education. The government sent me a letter telling me the obscene amount of money I'll need to pay them each month in order to have my loans paid off in a mere 9 years, but it seems that the bank expects you to go to them to find out what to do.

A very friendly person at the bank was trying to help me out, but when she called the bank's student loan centre, no one answered the phone... she got stuck in their "press 1 for this, press 2 for that" phone system that never actually lets you talk to a real live person*. She called a manager over for some help and the manager stared at the computer screen with the most perplexed look on her face and then said, "She can't possibly have this many loans." Sigh. Oh yes, I can.

*nice to know that companies do this to themselves, and not just to us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about the student loans too. It's definitely an incentive to stay in school for the rest of your life!

Duane Storey said...

I have a truckload of loans as well, and paying them off is a pain in the ass. They nail you on the interest, knowing that you get to write some off on your taxes. It's a real scam is what it is.