Friday, January 26, 2007

Look Ma, No Wires!

I finally got my new laptop!! Despite Future Shop's best efforts to keep me from getting it (first by insisting that the holder of the credit card (who is in Toronto) that paid for laptop show up at the pick up location (which is in Vancouver), then (after agreeing she could pay there and I could pick it up here) by twice denying her the opportunity to pay for the damn thing in Toronto via (1) their system being down one day and (2) having a lineup so huge that my sister waited for her whole lunch hour and never got to the head of the line the next day), they finally let her pay for it and then gave it to me without my even showing any ID! Seriously, I walked in and said that someone in Toronto bought me a computer to be picked up at this location, and they just handed it over!

Anyhoo, I'm composing this posting on my lovely, shiny new laptop. My Wifi-enabled beauty, meaning that I could be just about anywhere! The fact that I am sitting in the chair at my desk, right next to my desktop computer is immaterial! I could be sitting in bed writing this. Or in my kitchen! Or maybe even out in my backyard, seeing as it is sunny today! Or at a coffee shop! Or even at Nevermind, which has a fatport connection!

Also, the keyboard on my new laptop is bilingual. Did you know that the French version of "PgDn" is "P.suiv" or that the French version of "Alt" is "Car"?* Of course, when I set the computer up for the first time, there was a message when I chose "English" as the language I wanted to use that essentially said, "Are you sure? If you choose English now, you will never ever, ever be able to switch it to another language! Even if you do a complete system recovery! Even if you dismantle the computer into its component atoms and re-construct it, atom by atom, you will never be able to make it work in French. We swear! No fooling!!" So here's hoping that I don't want to use Windows in French!

OK, I should go now. I need to go for a run (yup, still training for the half marathon!). And then I'm off to school to get some stuff out of my old office (stuff I'd completely forgotten was even there!) and then to help set up for the Aggie Bzzr Garden. You may recall reading about the last Aggie Bzzr Garden. I'll try to behave myself this time. But if I ride the mechanical bull again, I'll be sure to sign my waiver "Lara Croft."

*Damn, this keyboard is slightly different than my other one and I keep accidentally hitting the "Verr.maj." key.

No comments: