Thursday, August 31, 2006

Woman of Leisure

So, I think I could get used to this whole being unemployed thing... if only the pay was better. The other day I was just chillaxin' at a coffee shop on Dunbar, reading a book and drinking my coffee and it turned out that the guy at the next table was a local radio talk show host. I never would have known this if an older lady hadn't started talking to him (and pulling me into the conversation as well), insisting that she knew this guy and repeatedly stating, "I can't believe you don't remember me!" even as he was repeatedly stating, "No, I don't know you." After she left I asked him what radio show he worked on and he told me he had his own talk show for years, "but now I just read novels [indicates the novel he's reading] and get accosted by strange old ladies who think they know me." It was a strange little incident, and it made me wonder how many times I've encountered (pseudo)celebrities and been totally oblvious to the fact.

Yesterday was the grad student orientation at UBC, so myself and a couple of colleagues had a table to recruit new volunteers for Let's Talk Science. It was specifically requested that I wear my traffic stopping shoes so as to dazzle unsuspecting new grad students with my fine footwear, rendering them so befuddled that they will sign up for the program. Mission accomplished.

Oh yes, and with my free time I've decided to become a contributor to the illustrious Urban Dictionary. In truth, I've wanted to do this for some time, but never had a new defintion to contribute until now. I was recently made aware of a unique term which apparently originates in Port Alberni, BC. And thus I give you: snug (I'm sure you'll be able to figure out which of the definitions of "snug" I contributed). If you approve of this definition, please click the "thumbs up" next to it to voice your approval.

And I'm going to be a model. Now, I've already contemplated putting "model" on my resume, ever since Jorge took photos of me which he swears will go into his portfolio once he gets through his backlog of a gazillion photos he's taken this summer. But now I'm really, really going to be a model - on brochures for grad programs in my Faculty. At least, I'm going into campus for the photo shoot... here's hoping that the photos don't turn out so hideous that I end up on the cutting room floor. And I'm not actually getting paid for it. Unless "tasty Starbucks beverage of your choice" is a recognized currency. Which around here, it is starting to sound like it might be.

In less exciting news, I didn't get this job I'd applied for to teach Anatomy & Physiology at a local college*. In fairness, the job was listed as an 'internal/external' posting, so it is possible that they already had a staff member that could take the position and the posting was just procedure. Or at least that's what I've been telling myself.

In more exciting news, roofing boy called...

*I don't think I've actually mentioned this here on my blog, but there has been a bit of a snag with my Stanford postdoc and everything is kind of up in the air right now about if/when I will actually get to go there. Story of my life** these days, eh?

**For a succinct version of the story of my life these days, see Beth's Law.

No comments: