I have recently been discussing with various people the correct definition of a cougar. This topic has come up in conversation for absolutely no reason at all, why do you ask?
A search of such illustrious sources as wikipedia and urban dictionary have revealed that there appears to be no consensus on what constitutes a cougar. Opinions I’ve heard expressed include:
- you have to be at least 35 years old
- you definitely have to be more than 40 years old
- anyone over 30 can be a cougar
- there’s no minimum age limit – it’s all about the age differential
- age limits don’t count if you don’t look your age*
- without the leopard print spandex and skin that’s been tanned so many times it looks like leather, you ain’t a cougar
- you want to poke your friend’s son? That makes you a cougar – regardless of your age.
But then, when I was having dinner with my friend, Alicia, she informed me of “the formula for calculating if you are cougar.” She assures me that this formula has been scientifically validated:
( your age ÷ 2 ) + 7
For example, if you are, let’s say for a completely arbitrary example, 29 years old, then your minimum age limit would be:
( 29 ÷ 2 ) + 7 = 21.5... which you round up to 22
--> if go for a guy under 22, you are a cougar.
Discussing this formula with some other friends, I was informed by Kyle that there is a similar “hockey player formula”= ( your age ÷ 2 ) --> hockey players can go for anyone who is over half their age**.
So, I'm interested in your opinion: what, exactly, are the requirements of being a cougar?
*I may or may not have been the person expressing this opinion.
**And we all know what an avid hockey player I am. I’m just saying.