Friday, December 30, 2005

Brevity is... wit

Well, I didn't think it was possible, but I've actually managed to slash my mammoth 64-page literature review down to a svelte 38 pages! It took a complete reimagining of my section on fetal bone development (it was so lovely and detailed before, but my supervisor convinced me that no matter how much I liked it, no one else wanted to read 40+ pages of knockout mice studies).... I want to send it to my supervisor right now, just to get it off my plate, but seeing as it is 6:30 am and I've been working on it through the night, I think it would be wiser to get some sleep and then give it another read through before I do that.

Anyway, FYI, here is my new Table of Contents for the Lit Review:

1.1 INTRODUCTION
1.2 FETAL ALCOHOL SPECTRUM DISORDER
    1.2.1 Diagnosis and Prevalence.
    1.2.2 Effects on Overall Growth and Skeletal Development
1.3 FETAL PROGRAMMING/FETAL ORIGINS OF ADULT DISEASE.
    1.3.1 Potential Mechanisms of Fetal Programming
    1.3.2 Fetal Programming and Bone Health
1.4 GROWTH RETARDATION
1.5 FETAL BONE DEVELOPMENT
    1.5.1 The Process of Endochondral Bone Development
    1.5.2 Regulation of the Process of Endochondral Bone Development
    1.5.3 Potential Mechanisms of Ethanol’s Effects on Fetal Bone
1.6 ANIMAL MODELS OF PRENATAL ALCOHOL EXPOSURE
1.7 THESIS OBJECTIVE

No comments: